Lisinopril Side Effects
Generic Name: Prinivil, Zestril
Brand Name: Lisinopril
Consumer need to know
Applies to lisinopril: Oral
Most common lisinopril side effects
We use lisinopril to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. It can be used as a supportive treatment in patients with MI (myocardial infarction). When the doctors recommend it to the patients, he is aware about lisinopril benefits which overweight its side effects.
However the consumer should be informed about these side effects to protect himself in any possible complication. The most common prinivil (lisinopril) side effects are:
- headache, dizziness, diarrhea, drowsiness, cough.
The below side effects can occur but less:
- difficult breathing, nausea, vomiting, fever, stuffy nose, fatigue, taste changes, fainting, chills, depressed mood, low energy, flu symptoms, allergic reactions, hoarse voice, gain weight, oliguria, anuria, hair loss, linitis, sensitive to light, hives, insomnia.
- muscle pain, chest pain, stomach cramps, indigestion, sore throat, muscle weakness, joint pain, infection of the nose or throat, face, lips, tongue or throat edema, gout.
- rash, mild skin itching, psoriasis, tingly feeling, jaundice, sun sensitive skin, flushing, blistering skin, toxic epidermal necrolysis.
- palpitations, low blood pressure, heart attack, slow heart rate, weak pulse, uneven heartbeats.
- hypoglycemia, extreme loss of water in the body, high amount of potassium in the blood, decreased neutrophiles and granylocytes.
- altered interest in having sexual intercourse, erectile dysfunction.
There are others side effects of lisinopril but rare even though very serious as: kidney diseases, Steven-johnson syndrome, uncoordinated, life threatening allergic reaction, hemolytic anemia, toxic epidermal necrolysis, inflammation of the pancreas, fluid in the lungs, angioedema (intestinal, in neck and head)
If the patents noticed one of these symptoms they should call the doctor immediately because an emergency medical help is needed.
Side effects of lisinopril in particular organs and systems
In controlled studies fatigue, asthenia and orthostatic are the negative effects that prinivil use has in body as a whole. Other side effects include: syncope, edema, malaise, infections.
In cardiovascular system hypotension is the most known side effect of tensopril. In lower number heart pounding and chest pain (as Angina Pectoris) are reported. In 1% of the patients occurred palpitation and studies showed that patients with heart failure are more likely to have side effects that zestril may cause. Some rare but very serious cardiovascular problems include; MI, pulmonary embolism, atria or ventricular tachycardia, peripheral edema.
Kidney can be harmed by lisinopril use too. There are reported cases during ACE inhibitors therapy with renal insufficiency, proteinuria, renal artery stenosis and a higher creatinine and BUN levels because of renal failure.
In respiratory system the most common side effect of lisinopril use is cough, but other severe problems are reported even though not often: painful respiration, infections, common cold, influenza, nasal congestion, asthma, pneumonia, wheezing, pulmonary infiltrates, malignant lung, neoplasm etc.